Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Learning to Love


Up until last year, I always had self confidance issues. I was constantly shy and worrying what everyone around me was thinking about me. I never had a close group of friends, so being at home with my family was pretty much the only place where I would open up and be myself. I always kept a mirror snug in my pocket to make sure I was looking half-decent; my looks were never up to my standards. I was very emotional,and getting through the school day without an occasional teary eye was a struggle.
And then one day, I realized that drowning myself in pity wasn't helping anything. I began to learn how to love myself. The freckles on my face were no longer a disgrace, but a blessing. The waves in my hair started to grow on me. My fair skin...well, I still am working on that one...
I became comfortable cracking jokes in front of people and being myself around them. I started making closer friends whom helped repair the wounds of my past. I learned how to love life again like I did when I was a child.
Of course I still have confidence issues, but who doesn't?
I urge you to smile at your imperfections... and learn to love.
After all, it is the least you can do for yourself.
-suzyQ

2 comments:

  1. you sound beautiful to me :)

    Sometime it's all about frame of mind and if we can turn our minds in the right direction thing seem to fall in place. I did a post not so long ago on friends and I truly believe the key to making friends to being yourself and if someone doesn't like who you are then they are not worth your time.

    I have always felt that school can be a horrible place for self confidence. When you leave and get a job everything changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice. Yes, school is definitely not the ideal place for gaining self confidence, but I am working on it!

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys. Please leave a comment- I want to learn more about the interesting and wonderful people who happen to stop by and see my work. I would love to hear from you!

-suzyQ