Sunday, September 6, 2009

Beach Love


I have spent this lovely Labor Day Weekend at the beach with a chunk of my family members. Our beach house is very East Coast-esque with charming white trim outlining the pale blue wood. Many memories have been created throughout my lifetime here, and every time I walk through the door and smell the familiar smells, all those memories rush back.

Digging bathtub-sized holes for hours with my older cousins in the gritty sand. Body surfing and boogie-boarding in the high-tide waves. Applying massive amounts of Aloe Vera to my many sunburns. Feeling the breeze brush across my face at the perfect moment. Painting my toe nails so my feet look perfect buried in sand the next day. Grana's world famous cheese grits every morning. Pimento cheese sandwiches as a daily lunchtime meal. Outdoor showers topped with Pert shampoo. Stepping on sand dollars in the ocean and then masterfully picking them up with our toes to add to the collection. Seagulls. Seagulls. Seagulls. Cheez-its and Crystal Light. Wearing baseball caps and t-shirts every day due to our entire family's pale-as-can-be skin and our over-protective mamas. People-watching galore. Complete peace and serenity that I can find nowhere else. Knowing that I am surrounded by the people I love most in this world. And the feeling of dread that overcomes me on the last night.








I will back here in a year...



I can't wait.

2 comments:

  1. I love love love the beach....did I mention I love the beach ?

    and the ache I feel when I have to leave....you understand.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait either. You've described it so well!!! You have a knack with words.

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys. Please leave a comment- I want to learn more about the interesting and wonderful people who happen to stop by and see my work. I would love to hear from you!

-suzyQ