Friday, September 18, 2009

Friday Night Lights



One of the things I love most about high school: Friday night football games.

Wet, mushy, perfectly groomed sod. Enthusiastic mamas and nervous daddies. Little girls donned in their homemade cheerleading uniforms, cheering along with the "big girls". Our coach's famous speech made at the end of every ballgame in a huddle on the middle of the field, with players and fans surrounding. Roasted peanuts and cokes. Candy-filled children screaming for their role models on the field. Gnats...everywhere. Bright lights. Hair ribbons and pom poms. Rub-on tattoos plastered on pink cheeks. Familiar cheers ringing through the whole complex. Sore throats and hoarse voices. The feeling of having the whole school together rooting for their boys.

This makes me love high school life. This makes me feel at home. This, I will never tire of.

And this, I will most certainly miss in a few years.


-suzyQ


4 comments:

  1. What a great way to spend a Friday night. You have described the scene so well that I want to be there to experience the atmosphere myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful! Highschool in the Netherlands is so different, we don't have cheerleaders, footballteams at school. How you describe it feels like a movie to me..and that's a good thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello and i could not agree with you more...friday night football is an experience to itself!

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys. Please leave a comment- I want to learn more about the interesting and wonderful people who happen to stop by and see my work. I would love to hear from you!

-suzyQ